Child & Child understands that untrue statements made about an individual or company can cause serious harm to a reputation. It is often necessary to take swift action in such cases, as statements spread quickly, particularly via social media.
A legal action for Defamation or Malicious Falsehood may arise where damaging statements are made about companies by their competitors or aggrieved commercial partners.
In respect of individuals, a private dispute that escalates into a war of words, or the breakdown of a relationship, may cause one party to defame or harass the other.
We are able to advise on the following:
- Statements attacking a reputation – including Defamation and Malicious Falsehood
- Unauthorised disclosure of secrets
- Breach of privacy
- Hate mail and offensive messages
- Harassment, Trolling and Cyber-bullying
- Revenge Porn
Recent cases in which Child & Child’s lawyers acted:
- Advising the husband in divorce proceedings, in relation to very damaging comments made about him and his company, on his Facebook page, by his soon-to-be ex-wife.
- Successfully defending an online retailer against claims of defamation, malicious falsehood, passing-off, misrepresentation and cybersquatting, in a dispute with a competitor.
- Securing undertakings relating to the deletion of private and intimate images that would have been very harmful to an individual if made public.
- Advising clients in respect of online abuse (trolling); breach of privacy and exploitation of confidential content.